UNC Wilmington Family Medicine Residency Rural Track Site Director & Black River Health Services Medical Director
Novant Health – New Hanover Regional Medical Center is offering the unique opportunity of a dual academic and clinical leadership position that will lead development and implementation of UNC Wilmington’s new rural training track in coastal North Carolina. The new 1+2 residency will be embedded in Black River Health Services Clinic and Pender Medical Center with the aim of preparing rural physicians for future full scope practice in medically underserved communities. We are seeking a residency program site director to lead development of the on-site and off-site clinical curriculum that supports resident training and that meets the needs of our community partners and stakeholders. This bridging position includes medical directorship of the Black River Health Services clinic, supporting alignment of the clinical sites’ initiatives with this incremental residency expansion. The position would begin with recruiting for the first cohort of 2 PGY1 residents in 2023 to begin in 2024 and reach its full complement of 6 residents in 2026.
Be a part of training the next generation of rural primary care physicians in North Carolina as part of the statewide faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The position reports up to the program director of the Family Medicine residency program. As the medical director of Black River, you will have clinical oversight of the care provided in collaboration with the CEO. The position will include leadership, administrative, teaching, scholarly, and patient care responsibilities, with authority and accountability of the rural track.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Program leadership, growth and development
- Mentorship of Family Medicine faculty, residents and students through administrative, academic, and clinical activities
- Advocacy for diversity, equity and inclusion
- Full scope Family Medicine teaching and clinical practice
Exceptional Benefits and More:
- Academic faculty appointment at the UNC Department of Family Medicine
- Highly competitive salary with a sign-on bonus and relocation assistance
- Comprehensive benefits options including 403b with up to 6% match, dental, vision, and life insurance and additional Physician Pre-Tax Savings Plan 457 (b)
- Short-term disability and Long-term disability coverage with supplemental wrap-around policy
- Employer paid liability insurance with tail coverage
- CME allowance
What you will love about Wilmington!
- Coastal Location: Wilmington is located on the southeastern coast of North Carolina, providing residents with access to beautiful beaches such as Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach. The coastal environment offers a relaxed and scenic lifestyle.
- Historic Downtown: The city's historic downtown area is charming, with cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and a vibrant waterfront. It offers a mix of shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
- Cultural and Arts Scene: Wilmington has a thriving arts and cultural scene with theaters, galleries, and museums. The city hosts events and festivals, contributing to a lively cultural atmosphere.
- Film Industry Presence: Wilmington has been nicknamed "Hollywood East" due to its significant presence in the film and television industry. The EUE/Screen Gems Studios attract filmmakers, and the city has been the backdrop for various productions.
- Outdoor Activities: The coastal location provides opportunities for water-related activities such as boating, fishing, and water sports. Additionally, the nearby parks and nature reserves offer hiking, biking, and other outdoor recreation options.
- Education: The city is home to the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW), contributing to an academic environment. The presence of educational institutions adds diversity to the community.
- Job Opportunities: Wilmington's economy is diverse, with sectors such as healthcare, education, tourism, and the film industry contributing to job opportunities. The Port of Wilmington is also an economic driver for the region.
- Community Engagement: Wilmington residents often engage in community events and activities. The sense of community is strong, and there are various opportunities for socializing and connecting with neighbors.
- Mild Climate: Wilmington experiences a relatively mild climate, with warm summers and mild winters. The coastal location moderates temperatures, making it a comfortable place to live.
Are you looking for a new opportunity in a rapidly growing healthcare system that focuses on a culture of safety and team member growth?
Come join our team!
For our primary care providers:
- Access is a key theme – Novant Health encourages same day, extended hours, e-visits and video visits to deliver care where and when our patients need us.
- All of our community medicine physician leaders maintain a patient panel to remain connected to the day-to-day challenges and joys of practicing medicine.
- Many of our clinics utilize a team approach to care, which includes PAs, NPs, clinical pharmacy practitioners, health behaviorists and clinical RNs.
Novant Health offers:
- 2 year salary guarantee
- NH Medical Group employed
- Medical and Retirement Benefits
- Relocation Allowance
- CME Allowance
- System wide EHR-Epic
- Work-Life balance
Novant Health Medical Group
- Is one of the largest medical groups in the nation
- Offers resiliency training for physicians and team members to prevent burnout
- Is nationally recognized for advanced care and one of the largest community based, non-profit healthcare systems
- Is well known for being physician-led and physician-driven. For example, our physicians are in every area of leadership across the organization. That means every strategic discussion has physicians at the table, and every market partners a physician leader with an administrator. The result is a focus on the details that are important to physicians.
What does it mean to be a part of Novant Health?
- Novant Health is an integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient centers and hospitals that delivers a seamless and convenient healthcare experience to our communities. The Novant Health network consists of more than 1,900 physicians and over 36,000 team members that provide care at more than 800 locations, including 16 medical centers and hundreds of outpatient facilities and physician clinics. Headquartered in Winston–Salem, North Carolina, Novant Health is committed to making healthcare remarkable for patients and communities providing nearly six million patient visits annually.
- Novant Health is one of “America’s Best-In-State Employers 2023,”ranking No. 38 in North Carolina, according to Forbes and market research company, Statista. Novant Health has been consistently recognized as a Best-In-State Employer since Forbes launched the list in 2019.
- Novant Health has been ranked No. 17 in the nation and third among U.S. health systems in the 2023 Diversity MBA MagazineRankings for “Best Places to Work for Women & Diverse Managers.”
- In 2022, Novant Health provided more than $1.5 billion in total community benefit (including financial assistance and unpaid cost of Medicare and Medicaid). In 2022, Novant Health community engagement contributed more than $1.9 million in charitable contributionsto community partners in Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Wilmington that offer community-based health and human services.
At Novant Health, one of our core values is diversity and inclusion. By engaging the strengths and talents of each team member, we ensure a strong organization capable of providing remarkable healthcare to our patients, families and communities. Therefore, we invite applicants from all group dynamics to apply to our exciting career opportunities.
Join us, and let’s transform healthcare together.
#MakeHealthcareRemarkable #JoinTeamAubergine #NovantHealthPrimaryCare